Santosh Benjamin's Weblog

Adventures with AppFabric, BizTalk & Clouds

BizTalk, WCF and the Bad Gateway

leave a comment »


We ran into an interesting problem a couple of days ago and I decided it would be worth posting the solution in case anyone else runs into it.

The scenario involves a Windows Service communicating with a BizTalk WCF endpoint which is hosted using WCF-CustomIsolated and some fairly complex custom bindings, notably using X.509 Mutual Certificates. This is the second half of the communication, the first being where BizTalk sends a request to a vanilla WCF endpoint and gets an ACK, the service does some processing and the WinService then does a “call back” with the “real response” / outcome of the processing.  Both communication routes are secured via the same bindings. We didnt have any trouble with the transmission from BizTalk to the WCF service but the WinService initiated communication always failed with a HTTP 502 : Bad Gateway message. This had us stumped for a while as some articles we read seemed to suggest that there was a problem on the server. Now if you have looked into custom bindings and certs in BizTalk, you will know that there is some really heavy duty and scary stuff there so we wondered whether the way we had setup the certs and credentials info was playing havoc with the communication.

So I used the trusty WSCF.blue and mocked up another WCF service to mimic the BizTalk endpoint replete with the bindings (no, WSCF Blue doesnt support custom bindings yet, but will sometime soon) and swapped the URI in the WinService and it worked just fine. Still puzzled, I then created a console app to mimic the winservice and it was able to communicate with both my mock BizTalk service as well as the real endpoint. Curiouser and curiouser. At that time the only difference was in the App Pool between the BizTalk service and mock service, but i used the same app pool and still the problem only manifested between the Winservice and Biztalk.

Anyway, with some guidance from an expert colleague (who, unfortunately wasnt around when I was writing those mock clients and services) It turned out that the problem was with a setting “UseDefaultWebProxy”  in the Win Service. The difference between the WinService and the console client was that the console was running under my credentials and in the IE settings I had turned off the proxy for the specified URL so although I didnt specify the setting as “false” in the client it automatically picked up my settings. But the WinService was running under another user account, and so the system didnt care about my proxy settings and we had to explicitly set the value to “false”. 

That was it. A little setting buried deep in the bindings that caused us the grief. After sorting this out I stumbled across this post from Kenny Wolf  which points to the offending setting. Wish I had found that earlier, but then I wouldnt have realized that aspect of the console client where it picked those settings. So, hope this helps someone in a similar situation.

Advertisements

Written by santoshbenjamin

November 28, 2009 at 5:52 PM

Posted in BizTalk, Biztalk Adapters, WCF

Tagged with , ,

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: